- Carry out pre-use checks;
- Use them in accordance with instructions;
- Check the locking mechanism.
The use of telescopic ladders is growing more popular due to their ease of storage and convenience. However, there are numerous issues caused by the number of components used during their construction. The issues are:
- They are often rated for a lower load.
- The rungs are prone to greater bending.
- They are prone to greater bending of the stiles.
The situation has been compounded by significant numbers of substandard products that are being made available on the UK market. These are often low cost products that are being imported from outside the EU; these imported ladders may not meet the relevant European standards. Some of these ladders have been implicated in serious accidents, including fatalities. Trading Standards are aware of substandard products on the market and have been taking action.
It is also worth noting that only Class 1 and BSEN131 are the only ladders that should be used on construction sites.