In Brighton last month, a toddler was seriously injured when a large piece of timber fell from scaffolding. The girl, who was being pushed in a pushchair, was rushed to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton where she underwent surgery for a fractured skull.
A Manchester-based businessman has been given a six-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, after failing to survey a property for asbestos before starting major refurbishment work.
The HSE carried out a routine inspection which found the property owner didn’t check whether asbestos was present before carrying out the required work.
Wood dust becomes a potential health issue when wood particles produced during activities such as sanding and cutting become airborne and therefore is covered under COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Heath Regulations 2002). If inhaled, these particles can cause serious health problems including asthma, allergic respiratory symptoms, mucosal and non-allergic respiratory symptoms and even cancer.
Workplace Exposure Limits (WEL) for both hardwood and softwood dusts is currently 5mg/m3. This is based upon the amount of dust in the air averaged over an 8-hour shift. In all instances, exposure to these harmful dusts must be reduced to as low as reasonably practicable.
The HSE are currently in the process of lowering this to 3mg/m3 in 2020 and then to 2mg/m3 by 2023
The CSCS card was introduced for personnel who visited site on a regular basis but did not carry out a construction related role.
After consultation between CSCS and the industry, a new plan has been devised with the prospect of withdrawing the card completely. This decision is also supported by the Construction Leadership Council.
A construction worker is recovering in hospital after he was hit by falling materials on a housing site in Scotland. The operative is recovering and is in a stable condition. It was confirmed that his injuries were caused by falling materials within the building. This accident occurred two weeks after a woman died following being struck by a pallet of falling bricks in London.
Two scaffold inspectors have been prosecuted after a worker fell through a gap on a structure they had signed off as safe. The Court heard how the worker was working on a re-roofing project. As he stepped down from a roof, onto a fixed scaffold, he fell through a gap between the working platform and the building.
A Bakery has been fined £1 million following the death of a self-employed electrical contractor working in their premises. The electrician was wiring a motor situated above a machine while standing on a stepladder.
A Scaffolder witnessed on a scaffold without a harness has been handed a suspended sentence and community service. The court heard that photographs were taken of the Scaffolder standing on top of a scaffold in Manchester, with no edge protection and no harness attached to the scaffold or the building.
A company in control of a steel plant was fined £930,000 after five plant workers were exposed to toxic and flammable vapour. The judge stated that an estimated £25,000 spent on repairs, would have avoided the fine.
The company repeatedly failed to act on the recommendations of an inspection which identified the release of a chemical as an intolerable risk.
Following a recent fatal accident investigation, the HSE is strongly advising all employers and users of ladders to ensure that they: